Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Food Storage- Inspired By My Grandmother

I was born in Salt Lake City, Utah, my father was an airline pilot for Western Airlines and when I was in the 5th grade our family moved to Golden, Colorado. I can remember exactly the day I left Utah and traveled to our new home in Colorado. I was in school for the last day, my mom came to pick me up from school so that we could begin the drive to our new home. I remember feeling very sad, one of the boys in my class made a remark as I walked out the door that was not very kind, children can sometimes be so hard on one another. I felt very sad, in any case when we arrived at our home in Colorado, It was night time so we had cereal for dinner. I had one of those de ja veu experiences where I had seen this scene before. I had seen us in that very kitchen eating cereal. My experience in Colorado was a great one as I grew older, we lived there until I was a senior in high school, but that's another story. When we left Utah for Colorado we left behind many relatives including both sets of Grand parents. My Grandma Willden lived in Provo, my grandfather passed away years before I was born. I never met him. but I do have many memories of Grandma coming to visit us in Colorado and going on family trips with us. When we would visit Utah we would stay at Grandma Willden's home. I always shared a bed with her and I can remember covering my head with my pillow, as Grandma snored! She was always quilting and always feeding anyone and everyone. But perhaps one of my most impressive memories of my Grandma was her food storage room. I was always so impressed with the jars of peaches and pears, pickles, applesauce that she and my Uncle had canned.

I promised myself that I would try and have a food storage room liker hers. It was like a little grocery store, she has inspired me over the years. I know she was following counsel from prophets about having on hand a years supply of food and supplies. My parents had a food storage room as well, it was also quite impressive. I made it a point that I would try and do the same and emulate what I had been taught by my grandma and my parents. I have gone through my recipe books and listed at least 30 meals that I could make from items in my food storage. I would like to leave tips and recipes, ideas about what I have learned about food storage and preparing for an emergency, whether it is loss of job, earthquake, loss of income.

I have decided that if you have most of the basics on hand you can make a lot of things, it might require a little more time but it will even cut down on the cost of groceries. Many of the prepared frozen meals are not as cost effective, and homemade always tastes better. My suggestion would be to make a list of all the foods your family eats for dinner for 30 days.
Then for the next 30 days you can add to those menu's or make another 30 and then do it again the next month. That will give you at least 3 months worth of meals. I will try and post some of the recipes that I have chosen. I then made a list of the ingredients that I needed, and found that I have a great number of them already.


0 comments: